As someone who has done and continues to engage in the self healing process, has read In the Meantime by Inyala Vanzant, The Secret by Rhonda Bryne and a host of other self help authors as well as had my own personal therapy with a wonderful clinician, I know the benefits of letting go of old habits, patterns of behavior and maladaptive thoughts. As a clinician, I embrace the importance of reconnecting with spirit, adopting a holistic ideal of healing, i.e., mind, body, soul & spirit. A few months ago a movie was in the theater, For Colored Girls, a drama film adapted from Ntozake Shange‘s 1975 stage play For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf. Many people of all races & ethnicities saw this movie that was written and produced by Tyler Perry. As a result of many themes of sexual abuse, domestic violence, abortion and other issues facing modern black women; personal emotions were triggered. I participated in many discussions regarding the validity of these themes and a personal friend decided to seek counseling services as a result of her own unresolved concerns.
There are many qualified therapist of all ethnic and racial backgrounds that are culturally competent, however, I am providing this information, triggered by a friend who specifically asked if I knew of any African American therapist in the Oakland/East Bay area.
I wanted to provide a list of African American therapist that I’ve found in Oakland and the surrounding area… I don’t know any of them personally. I don’t know anything about them other than the fact that they are African American. I am sure there are more, please feel free to post information about others.
**Please Note: They are not numbered in order of preference. I don’t know their rates or if they accept insurance, please inquire.
1. Joy Johnson (510)-658-1966 @ 34th St., Oakland, CA
2. Roscoe Simmons, LCSW, Ph.D. 510-526-6658, Oakland, CA
3. Lisa M de Geneste, LCSW 917-566-5628, 465 – 34th Street, Suite B3, Oakland,CA
4. Dr. Margaret Jones 510-497-0029, 33 Embarcadero, Oakland, CA
5. Dr. Rosemary Durouseeau 510-339-8221, Village Counseling 1955 Mountain Blvd., Oakland, CA
6. Dean Chambers, MSW 510-339-8221. Village Counseling 1955 Mountain Blvd., Oakland, CA
7. Anita Clark 510-225-4006, 465 34th Street, Oakland, CA
8. Andrea Butler-Acuna, MFT 510-985-4518, New Hope Therapy 2515 Santa Clara Avenue, Ste. 208, Alameda, CA
9. Valerie Veza, LCSW 510-464-1288, 5463 Broadway, Oakland, CA
10. Lisa Bonta Sumii 415-322-8979, 5480 College Avenue, Oakland, CA
11.Jacy Smith, MFT 510-258-8869, 2917 McClure Street, Oakland, CA
12. Valerie Ja. Doyle 510-380-6146, 908 Arlington Ave., Oakland, CA
13. Quincy Wilkins, MFT 510-597-0779, 1240 Powell Street, Emeryville, CA
14. Dr. Zonya Johnson 925-238-8809, 5835 College Avenue, Ste. B Oakland, CA
Peace & Blessings,